- Listens to you
- Laughs at your dumb jokes (This is crucial, all my jokes are dumb)
- Empathizes with you
- You can tell anything to
- Is honest with you
- You never run out of things to talk about with
- You have inside jokes with
- Tolerates your incessant complaining
- Is amused by and/or interested in your weird interests (Aliens, ghosts, alternate realities)
- They can improve your mood
- They encourage you to do things that inspire you OR dumb stuff that will get you in trouble but will still probably be really fun
- Support you in tough times
- Friends can help you know yourself better and shape who you become
- Friends alleviate loneliness
- DO ask open ended questions.
On Chatous I usually like to ask people questions about where they live and how they like it, what they do for fun etc. and then see how it compares to where I live and the things I do. For example: “What do you like about living in antarctica? What do you do for fun? What was it like being raised by polar bears?” You never know what you could have in common with an Antarctican(?) raised by Polar Bears.(This is exhibit A of a dumb joke that only a friend would laugh at..and maybe not even then.)
- DON’T ask for a pic first thing. It’s plain rude.
There’s a reason Chatous doesn’t have profile pics. We want to encourage people to get to know each other for who they are, not what they look like. After you get to know someone it’s socially acceptable to ask, but asking first thing is a blatant violation of the unspoken laws of the Chatousphere.
- DO send pics of a view from your window or the street.
I love getting photos like this. It gives me a sense of my new friends life. This is the pic I like to send so people have an idea of where I live and what I do. (AKA drink champagne on rooftops and troll Chatous in my spare time)
- DON’T Just use Chatous for meeting a gf/bf.
It’s not a dating site. There’s more to life people. Sure people meet all the time on Chatous and fall in love and its really cute blah blah (see: A Controversial Love Story) but if you’re using it for the sole purpose of online dating, you could be missing out on meeting some really interesting friends.
- DO Share media.
I love sending gifs (obviously) and memes and YouTube vids to my new friends, it’s fun to bond over something hilarious and get an idea of someone else’s sense of humor. Here are a few of my fav YouTube vids ATM:
Rob Cantor’s Shia LeBeouf – Epic
Three Beat Slide – Can’t tell if they’re trolling or serious
Drunk Kitchen – Classic
- DO Find things you have in common.
Talk about music, sports, food, culture, hobbies, etc. Finding someone in another part of the world who likes some of the same stuff you do is such a cool feeling.
- DON’T beg people to be your friend…It’s unbecoming. Oops.